Research and statistics
The Ministry of Justice produces a range of information and statistics for use by the public, covering a wide variety of the activity within the justice sector. Below are links to a selection of our key reports and statistics, as well as links to useful information available on other websites.
Ministry of Justice research and statistics
- Child and youth prosecution statistics - court data about the prosecution of children and young people (aged 10 - 16) provided to Statistics NZ for official release on their website every six months.
- Conviction and sentencing statistics - court data for adults (aged 17 or over) provided to Statistics NZ for official release on their website every six months.
- Court workload statistics (Courts of NZ website) - statistics on annual and monthly court and tribunal workloads (new business, disposals and active cases); and waiting times to trial/defended hearing.
- Justice Datalab website - allows graphical exploration of adult conviction data, and an easy to search collection of Ministry of Justice research and evaluation reports.
- Justice sector forecast - includes forecasts of the sentenced and remand prison population; offenders serving community sentences and on post-sentence orders; numbers of Crown prosecutions and appeals undertaken; numbers of impositions, receipts and remittals of monetary penalties to Community Work sentences; and the Legal aid expenditure.
- Justice sector working papers - technical documentation and working papers related to justice sector statistics.
- New Zealand Crime and Safety Survey (NZCASS) - measures how much crime occurs, who experiences it, how victims respond, and people's perceptions of crime and the criminal justice system.
- Research and evaluation reports (Justice Datalab website) - an easy to search collection of Ministry of Justice research and evaluation reports.
Other sources of justice sector statistics
- Department of Corrections research (Department of Corrections website)
- New Zealand Police statistics (NZ Police website)
- Statistics New Zealand's NZ.Stat tool (Statistics NZ website) - web tool that allows the creation of tables from a wide range of datasets, including data from the Ministry of Justice and NZ Police.
For more information about upcoming statistical releases see the Justice sector statistical release calendar (PDF, 517KB).
For other queries please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org