You are here: Home Services Criminal records

Criminal records

The Ministry of Justice can provide a copy of your criminal record to you and/or a person or agency that you authorise. 

Your record lists criminal and traffic convictions and sentencing from court appearances. It does not include Youth Court charges.


Get a copy of your criminal record

  • For individuals requesting a copy of their own criminal record.

Request authorisation to view  someone’s criminal record

  • For third parties (eg an employer or insurance agency) seeking a person’s authorisation to view their criminal record.

Important: “Clean slate” records

If you meet all criteria under the Criminal Records (Clean Slate) Act your convictions will not be shown on your record, unless:

  • your record is for your own personal use, AND
  • you tick the box on the form requesting a full record.

It is against the law for most third parties to request or require that you disclose your full criminal record.

In specific circumstances, approved users can ask a person to provide a complete copy of their criminal record – for example, if that person is applying to be a foster parent or a Justice of the Peace.  See Exceptions under Section 19 of the Criminal Records (Clean Slate) Act.

More information

Information and your rights

About the Criminal Records (Clean Slate) Act 2004

Requirements to work as a teacher in South Korea

Frequently asked questions