You are here: Home Services Criminal records Get a copy of your criminal record
Christmas hours

We wish to advise the Ministry of Justice Criminal Records Unit will be closed from 2:30pm Wednesday 24 December 2014 and will reopen 9:00am Monday 5 January 2015.

Please note that over this period we will not be processing criminal conviction history requests.


Get a copy of your criminal record

If you are an individual and you want a copy of your own criminal record, you need to:

  1. Complete the Request by individual for a copy of any criminal convictions (Priv/F1) form. You will need to print and sign it.
  2. Attach a copy of your valid drivers’ licence OR passport showing a current signature for verification purposes. Do not send original identification. If you do not have a valid drivers' licence or passport, you will need to ask someone to confirm your identity, using Section 2 of the form. Note: Parents or caregivers completing the form on behalf of children aged 16 and under must provide a signed copy of their own passport or drivers licence and include this with the childs' application.
  3. If your application is for a visa to travel overseas or apply for citizenship in another country, please attach a coversheet stating you will require the result to be on original letterhead with ink signature.
    Note: This is NOT required for Australia.
  4. Send us your completed form and copy of identification. You can either:
  • Scan and email them to
  • Fax them to +64 4 918 8974
  • Post them to:
    Criminal Records Unit
    Ministry of Justice
    SX10161  (What is this?)

What happens next?

We will post you a copy of your criminal record within 20 working days of the date we receive your completed form and identification.

(Please note that this does not include postage time.)