Information for legal professionals
This section contains all the information you need as a legal professional to work with the Ministry of Justice.
Find out about the key court processes for the criminal jurisdiction. This content has been taken from the Criminal Procedure Act infosheets.
- Criminal procedure process overview
- Offence categories and types of trial
- Case management process
- Forms and documents
- Addresses for filing
- Criminal Procedure Act – resources and training
Information and resources to assist you to provide legal aid services.
- Legal aid forms
- Approval to provide legal aid services
- Family Legal Aid changes and fixed fee review- responses to questions from the Legal Services Webinar (PDF, 597 KB)
Information for Police Detention Legal Assistance providers
This section has resources for duty lawyers and includes information about the operation of the duty lawyer service and the responsibilities of duty lawyers.
- Instructions for duty lawyers on bail matters (Word, 68 KB)
- Admission to duty lawyer rosters and roster selection criteria
- Duty lawyer instructions
This section has information and resources for Family Legal Advice Service providers, including the operational policy and directory on where to go for assistance.
From 11 October 2013, new arrangements for resolving civil disputes with people in Australia come into effect. The new arrangements under the Trans-Tasman Proceedings Act 2010 will make resolving civil disputes with people in Australia simpler, cheaper and more efficient.
This section has information on:
- taking court proceedings against a person in Australia
- options for persons in New Zealand who are involved in Australian court proceedings
- registering and enforcing civil court judgments across the Tasman
Access practice notes, guides and directions for the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal, High Court and District Court.
Note: Not all of these practice notes are applicable to proceedings under the Criminal Procedure Act 2011.
Key legislation for the criminal jurisdiction.
- Criminal Procedure Act 2011
- Criminal Procedure Rules 2012
- Crown Prosecution Regulations 2013
- Court of Trial Protocol for Category 2 and 3 Offences Established by the Chief High Court Judge and the Chief District Court Judge (PDF, 75 KB)
- Information on the New Zealand Bill of Rights Act 1990
- Legislation Advisory Committee