Contact with a child overseas

If you would like contact with your child when they are living overseas you may be able to apply under the Hague Convention for this.

Similarly if you have day-to-day care of a child in New Zealand and the other parent or guardian is living overseas, they may ask to have contact with the child.

As well as visiting the child, contact can also include staying in touch by telephone, email, text messaging, social media and video chat/call apps like Skype.

Get legal advice

You should get legal advice if you want to have contact with a child living overseas or a parent or guardian who lives overseas wants to have contact with your child.

If you can’t afford a lawyer you may be able to get:

This page was last updated: