If you don't agree after mediation

If you and your ex-partner haven’t reached agreement at the end of your Family Dispute Resolution sessions, or if you only agree about some things, it may be worth taking a break for a few months and then trying again.

If you still can’t agree, you can ask the Family Court to make a decision for you.

Your mediator will give you an Outcome of Family Dispute Resolution form. That form states:

  • that you've reached agreement on some matters, and 
  • what you've agreed on and what still need to be sorted out;


  • that you can't agree on any matters.

You'll need to give this form to the court with your application.

Find out more about how the Family Court settles disagreements