Apply for a Consent Order

If you want to, you and the other parent or guardian can ask the Family Court to make your private agreement into a Consent Order. To make the order the judge must be satisfied that you both entered into the agreement willingly. The forms you fill in will give the judge information to confirm this.

If 1 of you doesn’t do what you’ve agreed, the Family Court can enforce the Consent Order by making the person pay a bond or compensation, for example. If the person still doesn’t follow the Order, then they may get charged with a crime and could be fined or jailed.

Fees & costs

You’ll need to pay $220 to the court. You can ask the court to waive (cancel) the fee. This means you won’t have to pay the fee.

You and the other people involved in your case may have to pay some of the court costs.

Find out more about:


If you need help to fill in the forms you can:

Find out more about affidavits and statutory declarations

  1. Fill in these 2 forms:
    Joint application to make a new Parenting Order by consent [PDF, 1.4 MB]
    General consent memorandum relating to children [PDF, 1.4 MB]
  2. File your application. You need to do this yourself. You can’t get a lawyer to file an application for a Consent Order.
    Find out more about how to file documents

Legal advice & help

You don’t need help from a lawyer to get a Consent Order. However, you might want to talk to one so that you understand your rights and responsibilities if a Consent Order is made.

Find out more about lawyers in the Family Court

Back to top

This page was last updated: