Property & Protection Orders

Quick exit - go to the website(external link)

Find out how to cover your tracks online(external link)

A Property Order says who can live in a specific house or flat and a Furniture Order says who can keep the furniture including appliances, like a TV.

A person who applies for a Protection Order can apply for a Property Order and Furniture Order at the same time.

There are two different kinds of Property Orders:

  • An Occupation Order covers situations when a house is owned by one person or more. An Occupation Order gives the person who applied for a Protection Order the right to live in the house or flat where they're now living. It stops the violent person from living there without the other person’s agreement.
  • A Tenancy Order covers renting situations. A Tenancy Order says that the violent person is no longer the tenant of a house that they've been renting with the other person. The person who applied for a Protection Order can still live there, but the violent person can’t.

Find out more about applying for a Protection Order

Keeping furniture

If the person who applied for the Protection Order wants to stay in the house or flat that they shared with the violent person, they can apply for an Ancillary Furniture Order to let them keep the furniture and appliances in the house or flat.  

If they want to move out, they can apply for a Furniture Order to let them take all or some of the furniture and appliances to their new home.

It doesn't matter who owns the furniture.

If the violent person doesn’t leave the property

If the violent person stays in the property when there is an Occupation Order or Tenancy Order, they can be arrested by the police and removed. They can also be charged with trespassing. If they're convicted of this crime, they could be sent to prison for up to 3 months.

This page was last updated: