Christmas & New Year office hours
- Close: 3pm, Wednesday 24 December 2014
- Open: 9am, Monday 5 January 2015
Kia ora and welcome to the Tribunals
The Tribunals Unit of the Ministry of Justice provides administrative and registry support services to 28 tribunals, authorities and committees. It also provides other specialist services, including committee servicing and judicial support.
Tribunals, authorities and committees supported by the Ministry of Justice are expert forums for hearing and resolving disputes over facts and/or law.
Each body is established by legislation and the same legislation sets out its functions, powers and the extent of its authority, or jurisdiction.
The types of issues these bodies consider are extensive, for example:
- disputes between individuals over a cost or service
- complaints about the conduct of regulated professionals or departments
- occupational licensing issues
- tax and duty disputes
- land valuation disputes.
Note: The Waitangi Tribunal is not supported by the Tribunals Unit. It has its own business unit to provide all the services it needs to operate.