Victims of domestic violence

What to do if you or your children are the victims of domestic violence.
Other people may be able to find out that you have been to this or other sites that talk about family violence. If you are a victim of domestic violence, you can hide your visit.

Domestic violence takes many forms. It involves abusive or intimidating behaviour carried out by a partner, friend or family member to control, dominate or make you feel afraid. The violence doesn't have to be physical - it can be emotional, psychological, financial or sexual, or it can be threats to abuse you in any of these ways.

If you or your children are experiencing any domestic violence you need to get help.

Where to get help

If you are in immediate danger, call the Police on 111. They will respond straight away.

If you need advice or help in a crisis, call Women's Refuge on 0800 733 843 for free, any time.

For longer-term and ongoing protection from a violent person that can be enforced by law, you can apply to the Family Court for a Protection Order. If children are involved you can also apply for an urgent Parenting Order (without notice).

The Police can issue a Police Safety Order if they think you're at risk from violence.

Domestic violence is not ok

For more information on domestic violence, what it is and how to get help, visit: or call 0800 456 450 for free.

In this section:

What is domestic violence?

Types of domestic violence and how to protect yourself and your children. Read more about the definition of domestic violence.

Protection Orders

Police Safety Orders

Programmes and services

Hide your visit


Domestic violence risk factors

Domestic violence covers more than physical abuse. Read more about domestic violence risk factors.

Document Actions