If you're in immediate danger, dial 111 and ask for the police.

Quick exit - go to the Stuff.co.nz website(external link)

Find out how to cover your tracks online(external link).

Need help? Family violence and sexual violence helplines are always open

What’s family violence?

Family violence (previously referred to as domestic violence) is hurting a family member or someone you're in a close personal relationship with. Family violence can be hurting somone physically. It can also be hurting someone emotionally, psychologically, financially and/or sexually.

Family violence can happen in many kinds of relationships, including:

  • husbands and wives
  • civil union partners
  • de facto (living together) partners
  • people who are biological parents of the same person
  • people related by blood
  • people related through marriage, civil union, de facto relationships or adoption
  • members of the same family/whānau or other culturally recognised family group
  • flatmates or other people who live in the same house or flat
  • people in a close personal relationship who don’t live together
  • people in care/carer relationships if it's also a close personal relationship

If you’re unsure about whether you’re experiencing family violence, you can learn more and take the Positive Relationship quiz at areyouok.org.nz(external link)

Download our brochure About Family Violence and Protection Orders [PDF, 453 KB]

  • Ways you can stay safe from family violence

    People at risk from family violence can get a Protection Order from the court.

  • Conditions of a Protection Order

    A Protection Order has two main conditions: no violence and no contact with the people protected by the Order. A Protection Order can be in place even if you're living with the person who's been violent (the respondent).

  • Apply for a Protection Order

    You can apply for a Protection Order if you're in, or have been in, a close personal relationship with a person being violent.

  • What are Property and Furniture Orders?

    A Property Order says who can live in a specific house or flat. A Furniture Order says who can keep the furniture including appliances, like a fridge and beds.

  • Free safety services

    Safety services are designed to help you deal with the effects of the violence, feel more confident and move forward with your life. They'll explain how to keep safe and provide practical information about how Protection Orders work.

  • What's a Police Safety Order?

    A Police Safety Order (PSO) may be issued by Police when they attend a family violence incident. The PSO means the person being violent must leave the home temporarily, even if they own the property and live there.

  • Respond to a Protection Order

    If you’ve been served with a temporary Protection Order, it means the court decided it was urgently needed to protect the person who applied.

  • Protection Order forms

    Forms to apply for, or respond to, a Protection Order.

  • Where to get help

    The following resources can assist you in getting help or talking through your situation.

This page was last updated: