Rōpū Take Tautohenga Ā-Waka – Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal

IMPORTANT: If you bought a vehicle from a private seller and want to dispute the sale – you’ll need to go through the Disputes Tribunal.

Disputes Tribunal(external link)

The Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal is only for people who have bought a vehicle from a registered trader – or from a trader that meets the criteria for registration but isn’t. You can look at the Motor Vehicle Sales Act to find out more about the definition of a trader.

It’s a good idea to read the Consumer Protection website(external link)

It explains what to do if you have a problem and how to get it resolved.

The Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal deals with disputes of amounts up to $100,000. It can be more if both parties agree in writing.