Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority

COVID-19 UPDATE 13 September 2022

1. While COVID-19 is in the community, the Alcohol Regulatory and Licencing Authority (the Authority) will, as far as is reasonably practicable, operate in its usual manner. 

2. Everyone who attends the Authority in person must comply with the health and safety requirements at the hearing facility.

3. In some cases, there will be a need to change (possibly at short notice) the way the Authority operates, including by conducting hearings entirely by video-link or telephone or by requiring that documents be emailed rather than posted or delivered.

4. Parties affected by any change to the Authority’s usual operating procedures will be advised of those changes and provided with information to ensure that they understand how their matter will be handled by the Authority. 

5. This Protocol applies until revoked or modified by the Authority.

6. The Authority’s Protocol dated 11 February 2022 is revoked.

Judge Connell
Alcohol Regulatory and Licencing Authority
13 September 2022

Alcohol Regulatory & Licensing Authority (ARLA), Te Mana Waeture Take Waipiro  

The Alcohol and Regulatory Licensing Authority, also known as ARLA, is an independent Tribunal established by the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.

The Authority considers and determines applications made by Licensing Inspectors and the Police for the variation, suspension, or cancellation of liquor licences and manager’s certificates.

The Authority considers and determines:

  • appeals against decisions made by district licensing committees; and
  • appeals against elements of provisional local alcohol polices developed by local councils.

Notice of appeal against a decision of a district licensing committee [PDF, 291 KB]

Notice of appeal against a decision of a provisional local alcohol policy [PDF, 261 KB]

If ARLA agrees, District Licensing Committees may also refer to ARLA applications for licences and manager’s certificates (or their renewal) for consideration and determination.

For more information, see:

Sale and supply of alcohol

Register of licences & certificates


Please note that If you are wishing to apply for a licence to sell or supply alcohol, or for a manager’s certificate, you will need to apply to your territorial authority [local council] first.

List of local councils(external link)

This page was last updated: