Courts and Tribunals remain an essential service throughout all COVID-19 restrictions but may be operating differently. The current COVID-19 Omicron outbreak means some courts and tribunals are experiencing staff shortages. This may impact on court operations through reduced services, and customer counter hours may differ from those published. For more detailed information about a specific court or tribunal, please call 0800 COURTS (0800 268 787)

Please check the Courts of NZ website for the latest court protocols: Current court protocols related to COVID-19

For more information for court users, see: Information for all court and tribunal users.

These tribunals, authorities and committees are a forum for resolving disputes over facts and/or law and assessing specific cases. They also work as regulatory bodies, issuing licences and certificates. Each body is established by legislation which also sets out its functions, powers and the extent of its authority or jurisdiction.

  • Disputes »

    The Disputes Tribunal hears disputes that are for less than $30,000. It used to be the small claims court.

  • COVID-19 commercial lease dispute services »

    Information on arbitration and mediation services to resolve commercial lease disputes arising from COVID-19.

  • Tenancy »

    The Tenancy Tribunal can help settle disputes between tenants and landlords, and disputes about unit titles.

  • Licences & certificates »

    These authorities issue licences and certificates for secondhand dealers and pawnbrokers, security guards and private investigators. They also hear appeals against local alcohol licence decisions.

  • Motor vehicle dealer disputes »

    The Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal deals with disputes between consumers and motor vehicle traders (but not private sales).

  • Alcohol Regulatory & Licensing Authority »

    You can appeal to the Authority to review a decision made by a district licensing committee and other matters related to alcohol licencing. The Authority doesn't issue alcohol licences and manager certificates, but it keeps a list of them.

  • Human rights »

    You can ask the Human Rights Review Tribunal to review decisions by the Human Rights Commission, Privacy Commissioner and Health and Disability Commissioner.

  • Real estate agents »

    The Real Estate Agents Tribunal deals with the licensing and disciplining of licensed real estate agents.

  • Abortion »

    Licence and certifying consultant applications to perform abortions are done through the Abortion Supervisory Committee.

  • Accident Compensation »

    You can appeal ACC review decisions with the Accident Compensation Appeals District Court Registry. If the decision was under the repealed 1982 Act, it's reviewed by the Accident Compensation Appeal Authority.

  • Canterbury Earthquakes Insurance Tribunal »

    The Canterbury Earthquakes Insurance Tribunal (the Tribunal) provides Canterbury homeowners with a fair, speedy, flexible and cost-effective way to resolve their long-standing claims with insurers (including Southern Response) and the Earthquake Commission (EQC).

  • Copyright »

    The Copyright Tribunal hears disputes about copyright licensing agreements and applications about illegal uploading and downloading of copyrighted work.

  • Customs »

    The Customs Appeal Authority hears appeals against decisions made by the New Zealand Customs Service.

  • Immigration »

    The Immigration & Protection Tribunal hears appeals on resident visas, deportation and refugee or protected person claims. The Immigration Advisers Complaints & Disciplinary Tribunal deals with complaints against licensed immigration advisers.

  • Land & title »

    The Land Valuation Tribunal deals with objections to property valuations. The Birdlings Flat Land Title Commissioner makes land title decisions about Birdlings Flat in Canterbury.

  • Lawyers & conveyancers »

    The Legal Complaints Review Officer reviews decisions made by Standards Committees. On review, the Review Officer has all of the powers of a Standards Committee. The Lawyers & Conveyancers Disciplinary Tribunal hears and determines disciplinary charges against lawyers and conveyancers.

  • Legal aid »

    The Legal Aid Tribunal reviews decisions the Legal Services Commissioner makes about who gets legal aid. The Review Authority reviews decisions the Secretary for Justice makes about who can be a legal aid provider.

  • Social security »

    The Social Security Appeal Authority hears appeals about the decisions of the Ministry of Social Development, the Benefits Review Committee, and the Secretary for War Pensions.

  • Students »

    Students can appeal Ministry of Social Development decisions on student allowances with the Student Allowance Appeal Authority. International students previously made complaints to the International Education Appeal Authority.

  • Tax »

    You can dispute your tax assessment or a decision by the Inland Revenue Commissioner to the Taxation Review Authority.

  • Trans-Tasman occupations »

    If you disagree with the decision of an occupation registration authority, you can apply to the Trans-Tasman Occupations Tribunal for a review.

  • Weathertight homes »

    Owners of leaky buildings who can't come to a resolution with the builder can apply to the Weathertight Homes Tribunal for help.

  • Waitangi Tribunal »

    The Waitangi Tribunal makes recommendations on claims brought by Māori relating to Crown actions which breach the promises made in the Treaty of Waitangi.

This page was last updated: