When Oranga Tamariki gets involved

If an Oranga Tamariki (external link)(external link)social worker or the Police think a child is in need of care or protection, they can arrange a Family Group Conference, and if necessary can ask the Family Court for a Care or Protection Order.

  • A Care or Protection Order- These might include Orders for custody, counselling, support, services, or restraining orders.
  • An interim Order - If a social worker or the Police thinks a child is in immediate danger, the Family Court can make an interim Order without talking to the child’s parent, guardian or caregiver first. This means the court puts the child in the care of Oranga Tamariki until the judge decides whether to make a Care or Protection Order.

Find out more about when a government agency applies for a Care or Protection order  

Find out what happens after the court makes a Care or Protection order