6.6 Copies of convictions

The District Court (Access to Court Documents) Rules 2017 and the Senior Courts (Access to Court Documents) Rules 2017 provide that any person may access (search, inspect, or copy, under the supervision of the court) the permanent court record. Convictions are recorded in the permanent court record. In some cases, access will be restricted; for example, if suppression applies.

A request for a copy of a conviction may be made orally to a registrar, although the registrar may require that the request be made in writing, identifying the requested document and the reasons for the request.

There are prescribed fees set down in the District Courts and High Court (Criminal Fees) Regulations 2013 that apply to requests for a copy of a conviction.

Your application should be processed within a week; however, some records are stored off site and may take longer to access.

This page was last updated: