Dealing with property when you’re still in a relationship

You can make agreements about the status, ownership and division of property during your marriage, civil union or de facto relationship. This can be done at any time during the relationship, not just if there’s disagreement about the relationship property.

If your partner owns property, you can also put a notice on the title to claim an interest in the land at any time during the relationship. You should talk to a lawyer if you want to do this.

If 1 of you becomes bankrupt or thinks the other is wasting or lowering the value of the property, you can ask the Family Court to divide property during the relationship.

Find out more about putting a notice on the property title(external link)

Find out more about dividing relationship property

This page was last updated: