Who can apply

The Tribunal considers claims from homeowners who have an unresolved claim with an insurer (including Southern Response) and the Earthquake Commission (EQC) relating to the 2010 and 2011 Canterbury earthquakes.

If you are not sure whether you are eligible to apply to the Tribunal, we encourage you to apply. You can also contact the Tribunal on 0800 268 787 for assistance.

You can apply to the Tribunal if you:

  • are the homeowner
  • have an unresolved insurance claim relating to the 2010 and 2011 Canterbury earthquakes
  • have a claim with a private insurer, Southern Response, or the Earthquake Commission
  • held the insurance policy at the time the damage occurred.

Your claim can be any of the following:

  • a new claim for first-time settlement
  • a claim re-opened because additional earthquake damage or bad repairs were found
  • a claim that’s gone through other resolution services but remains unresolved
  • a claim already filed with the court, which you can apply to have transferred to the Tribunal.

Damage that occurred after December 2011 can be considered if at least some of the damage occurred during the 2010/2011 earthquakes. The Tribunal doesn’t consider claims relating to on-sold properties or the Kaikōura earthquake.

Insurers (for example, Southern Response or EQC) can’t apply to the Tribunal.

Apply to the Canterbury Earthquakes Insurance Tribunal

Read the Homeowners' Guide to the Canterbury Earthquakes Insurance Tribunal [PDF, 1.4 MB]