Apply to the Tribunal

Applying to the Tribunal is free of charge.

You can apply to the Tribunal either:

  • directly (using one of the ways explained further down this page), or
  • indirectly (if your case is already with the courts, you can apply to have the court transfer it to the Tribunal).

Before you apply, make sure you read the Homeowner’s Guide:

Homeowners' Guide to the Canterbury Earthquakes Insurance Tribunal [PDF, 1.4 MB]

Not sure if you’re eligible?

If you’re not sure whether you’re eligible to apply to the Tribunal, we still encourage you to apply. You can also contact the Tribunal on or 0800 268 787 for assistance.

You can apply directly to the Tribunal using any of the following ways:

  • Online - complete and submit the online form to the Tribunal
  • Email - download and complete the application form and email it to
  • Post - download, print and complete the application form and post it to:

    Canterbury Earthquakes Insurance Tribunal
    DX WX 10021
    Christchurch 8011
  • Pick up or deliver an application form from/to the Tribunal office:

    Canterbury Earthquakes Insurance Tribunal
    Level 1, District Court Christchurch Justice and Emergency Services Precinct
    20 Lichfield Street

If you’d like an application form and Homeowner’s Guide posted to you, please either:

What you need to provide with your application:

  • The completed application form, including your contact details and those of your representative (if you choose to have one).
  • Additional documents to support your application. This is so the Tribunal can understand as much as possible about your claim. They might include emails, letters, photos and/or technical reports.
  • If you apply online or by email, please attach all your supporting documents to your application.  If your supporting documents are too large to send online, please send them to the Tribunal by courier, post or in person.

Apply online button(external link)

Download the Canterbury Earthquakes Insurance Tribunal application form [PDF, 111 KB]

Contact someone at the Tribunal with any queries, or if you need assistance with your application.