Fines & payments

If you would like to dispute a fine, please follow this link:

Can I dispute a fine?

UPDATE 14 April 2022: New Zealand’s COVID-19 Protection Framework ('traffic light system') is currently in place. Courts have implemented protocols that guide court operations under all stages of the Framework.

From 11.59pm on Wednesday 13 April 2022, ALL of Aotearoa New Zealand has moved to the Orange setting.

Courts remain an essential service throughout all COVID-19 restrictions, but may operate differently. Further guidance is available on the Courts of NZ website.

For more information for court users, see: Information for all court and tribunal users.

Please do not come to the courthouse if you are feeling unwell. Contact 0800 4 FINES (0800 434 637) if you cannot enter the courthouse and need to speak to us.

Our Contact Centre is open 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday for Fines and Civil Enforcement enquiries.

We understand this can be a very difficult time. We do have other options available, if you are going through hardship at the moment. Please contact us on 0800 4 FINES (0800 434 637) if you would like to discuss the options available to you.

  • About fines »

    Find out what fines are, how the court enforces fines and payment options. You can pay court fines online. Infringements like speeding or parking tickets become court fines if you don’t pay them on time.

  • About civil debt »

    A civil debt is when the court has made a decision about a private dispute over money or property. The court decision is an order or judgment and tells the debtor that they must pay the creditor.

  • Civil debt interest calculator »

    You can use this tool to calculate the total amount owed (including interest) on court-awarded civil judgments.

  • About reparation »

    How to receive or pay reparation. An offender pays reparation to a victim who has suffered emotional harm or had property lost or damaged as a result of crime.

  • Offender levy »

    The offender levy is a $50 levy that any person or company sentenced in the District Court or High Court pays. It funds services for victims and ensures offenders help address harm caused by crime.

  • Legal aid debt »

    Find out how to pay a legal aid debt, options to pay by automatic payment or lump sum payments, and interest charges on legal aid debt.

  • Cost Contribution Orders  »

    Find out about Cost Contribution Orders for family matters including what they are, if they're classed as legal aid debt and how to pay them.

  • Contact us »

    Contact the Ministry of Justice about fines, reparation, and civil debt.

  • Ways to make or receive a payment »

    If you previously made or received payment by cheque for Ministry-related services, see the information below for payment alternatives.