Features of the Tribunal
- Located in Christchurch.
- Only homeowners can apply.
- If the homeowner agrees, a Tribunal member may visit the affected property.
- Homeowners can ask for their case to be transferred from the court to the Tribunal.
- Insurers and EQC cannot apply, but they must take part.
- Hearings are broken down into separate events, held on different days.
- Tribunal decisions are binding and enforceable but may be appealed to the High Court.
- The Tribunal includes a fully-funded independent mediation service provided by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).
Find out more about MBIE mediation(external link)
- Mediation settlements are confidential, binding and enforceable.
- Settlements made outside of the Tribunal can also be sealed at the homeowner's request and be enforceable by the District Court.