You can now request your own criminal record check online.

Apply online(external link)

Before you begin you must have the following documents ready:

When completing the authority to release information form please ensure:

  • your ID contains a signature
  • the signature on your ID matches your authority to release information Form and
  • you have written the correct date of signing the proof of signature form.

The above documents will be uploaded as part of your online application and should be saved as either a .JPG, .JPEG, .PNG, or .PDF file format. Documents must be no larger than 6MB for each document

To ensure compatibility, please use Adobe Acrobat when saving documents as a PDF.

You can’t ask for your record over the phone or without the form.

If you’re unable to apply online, you can still complete a paper form.

Find out How to fill in the paper form.

Providing a copy of your ID

We use the copy of your ID to check that the right person has filled in the form. Your ID must:

  • be a clear and readable copy
  • exactly match the details in your form – write your name on the form exactly as it is on your ID
  • not be defaced.

You must use one of the following:

  • Your New Zealand driver licence. This can be current or expired within the last 2 years, but must not be cancelled or a temporary licence.
  • Your New Zealand passport. This must be signed and can be current or expired within the last 2 years, but must not be cancelled.
  • Your overseas passport. This must be signed and current.
  • Your New Zealand firearms licence. This must be current.

If you don't have any of these, you'll need to ask someone to confirm your identity or you will need to complete a statutory declaration.

Proof of identity form [PDF, 219 KB]

Statutory declaration form [PDF, 545 KB]

Cost of your record

It’s free to request a copy of your own criminal record.

When you’ll receive your record

We aim to process your request within three working days.

Asking for your full record

If you’re eligible for a clean slate, your record will automatically be concealed under the Clean Slate scheme. However, sometimes you need to give your full record, including convictions that have been concealed. For example, you might need a full record when you’re:

  • applying for some jobs (such as police, prison or probation roles)
  • involved in court cases or tribunal hearings
  • travelling to certain countries – check with the embassy or consulate of the country you want to travel to.

In most cases it is against the law for anyone to ask or make you reveal your full record.

Find out more about the Clean Slate scheme and concealing convictions

If you need your full record, tick the full record of convictions box on the form.

Getting an authenticated or Apostille-certified record

Some countries may ask for your record to be authenticated or Apostille-certified (confirmed as genuine). In this case you should send the record you get from us to the Department of Internal Affairs Apostille service.

Department of Internal Affairs Apostille service website(external link)

This page was last updated: