How to fill in the paper form

If you’re unable to apply online, you can still complete a paper form to request your own criminal record.

Request your own criminal conviction history [PDF, 262 KB]

Read our tips to avoid delays.

You can either:

  • fill in the form electronically (type in the details) and sign it, or
  • print out the form then fill it in by hand, using blue or black pen, and sign it.

Providing a copy of your ID

If you are using a paper form, you also must send us a copy of your ID.

We use the copy of your ID to check that the right person has filled in the form. Your ID must:

  • be a clear and readable copy
  • exactly match the details in your form – write your name on the form exactly as it is on your ID
  • not be defaced.

You must use one of the following:

  • Your New Zealand driver licence. This can be current or expired within the last 2 years, but must not be cancelled or a temporary licence.
  • Your New Zealand passport. This must be signed and can be current or expired within the last 2 years, but must not be cancelled.
  • Your overseas passport. This must be signed and current.
  • Your New Zealand firearms licence. This must be current.

If you don't have any of these, you'll need to ask someone to confirm your identity or you will need to complete a statutory declaration.

Sending your form and copy of your ID

Mail your form and ID

You can mail your form and copy of your ID to:

Postal address:
Criminal Record Applications
EX 11064

Write the address as written above and send it the same way as any other mail. You can use an NZ Post mail box.

If you use a DX mailbox, your mail will get to us faster.(external link)

Cost of your record

It’s free to request a copy of your own criminal record.

When you’ll receive your record

We aim to process your request within three working days. This is from the date we get your form. It doesn’t include mail delivery time.

We will send your report to the email address you provide on the form. If you do not provide an email address, we will send it by post.

Tips to avoid delays

To avoid delays in receiving your record:

  • write clearly - if we can’t read your form we can’t process it
  • sign and date the form
  • follow all the instructions in the information sections of the form
  • check it’s correct before you send it
  • send it within six months.

If your form is dated six months ago or earlier, we won’t process it. You’ll need to fill in a new form. This is also the case if you change the date after you first fill in the form.

Asking for your full record

If you’re eligible for a clean slate, your record will automatically be concealed under the Clean Slate scheme. However, sometimes you need to give your full record, including convictions that have been concealed. For example, you might need a full record when you’re:

  • applying for some jobs (such as police, prison or probation roles)
  • involved in court cases or tribunal hearings
  • travelling to certain countries – check with the embassy or consulate of the country you want to travel to.

In most cases it is against the law for anyone to ask or make you reveal your full record.

Find out more about the Clean Slate scheme and concealing convictions

If you need your full record, tick the full record of convictions box on the form.

Getting an authenticated or Apostille-certified record

Some countries may ask for your record to be authenticated or Apostille-certified (confirmed as genuine). In this case you should send the record you get from us to the Department of Internal Affairs Apostille service.

Department of Internal Affairs Apostille service website(external link)