Apply to administer property

On this page:

It’s free to apply for an Order to Administer Property.

You’ll need to fill out several forms, including one saying that everything you say is true. You’ll also need a form filled in by a medical professional. You’ll need to file these forms at the court closest to where the person who the application is for lives.

Find a local court

You may want to talk to a lawyer. If you can’t afford a lawyer, you may be able to get:

Forms to apply for an Order to Administer Property

Note: When you print the forms it's important to print them single sided.

You’ll need to give the court these 4 forms:

Information Sheet to accompany an application – PPPR14 [PDF, 90 KB]

Affidavit in support of appointment to administer property [PDF, 153 KB]

Medical Expert report [DOC, 29 KB]

Statement of Consent (to be appointed as property administrator/manager) [PDF, 36 KB]

You’ll also need to give the Family Court 1 of these forms:

Application form for an Order to Administer Property for yourself – PPPR5 [PDF, 54 KB]


Application form for an Order to Administer Property for someone else – PPPR6 [PDF, 92 KB]

If it’s urgent

If a decision needs to be made urgently, the court can make an Interim Order which can last up to 6 months. This can happen while you’re waiting for the court to approve an application.

If you think you need urgent help, you may want to see a lawyer about making an urgent application for you.

Find out more about urgent help

After you apply

After the Family Court receives an application for an Order, it will appoint a specialist lawyer who will meet with the person and the applicant. The lawyer will tell the judge why the application has been made and what should happen next. The judge may decide to:

  • hold a short hearing
  • ask for more medical evidence
  • make the Order.

How an Order to Administer Property ends

An Order to Administer Property will end on the date stated in the order.

The court must also set a date (up to 3 years) to review the order.

Find out more about how to ask the court to review an Order

Back to top

This page was last updated: