Pay reparation

Making reparation payments

All reparation payments should be made to the court in the same way that fines are paid. 

Ways to make payment to the court 

If you make any payment directly to the victim you need to let the court know and give us evidence so we can update our records. If you don’t then we will keep asking you for payment.

If you have outstanding fines in addition to reparation, any money you pay will go towards the reparation first.

How the process works

If a judge has ordered you to pay reparation, you will be sent a Notice of Fine telling you:

  • how much reparation you owe
  • any other fines or court costs you have been ordered to pay
  • how to pay.

The judge may also include instructions during sentencing on how the reparation is to be paid, for example, by instalment at set amounts or by a set date. 

If the judge did not specify a date or time for payment, you have 28 days from the day you were fined to pay in full or ask the court for a payment plan.

You pay the court and, once the payment has cleared, the court forwards your payment to the victim. 

If you don’t pay your reparation

If you fail to make payment within 28 days or according to the judge’s instructions, the court can take enforcement action against you to collect the outstanding amount, in the same way as a fine.

About court enforcement action 

If you want to appeal the decision

You can appeal your reparation sentence up to 28 days from the day you were sentenced. Appeals have to be made in writing to the court. You can get forms to appeal at the court where you were sentenced.

This page was last updated: