Representing yourself

It’s not compulsory to have a lawyer but you can if you wish. In most claims at the Weathertight Homes Tribunal, one or more parties will have a lawyer or representative.

Representing yourself

If you are a claimant representing yourself, it’s important you find out how to file a claim

You should also have:

  • a general understanding of why the house leaks
  • some understanding of the law that relates to the claim
  • a basic understanding of why some parties may want other parties to be joined or why parties should be removed from a claim
  • the ability to present your own case
  • the ability to question other parties' witnesses
  • the ability to make submissions in support of your case and against the other parties' cases.

Responding to a claim if you are a self-represented respondent

Find out how to respond to a claim

The tribunal’s role

The role of the Weathertight Homes Tribunal is to independently and fairly determine liability for leaky homes in accordance with the facts, regardless of whether a party is legally represented or not.  The tribunal will do all it can to ensure self-represented parties are not disadvantaged.

The Weathertight Homes Tribunal can’t refer you to a lawyer.

The Law Society can help to find a lawyer(external link)

Our team of case managers can take you through the process and explain what is required at each stage.  If you have any questions, contact us.

Read a glossary of the common terms used in the Weathertight Homes Tribunal [PDF, 685 KB]