How to make a claim

To make a claim, you must have a letter or email confirming you have an eligible claim from Weathertight Services at the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).

Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) website(external link)

On this page:

Before you start

You should read the Chairs’ Directions which outline the procedures and legal requirements for making an application.

Claims over $20k for a house - Chair's direction [PDF, 190 KB]

Claims for a multi-unit - Chair's direction [PDF, 207 KB]

Claims under $20k - Chair's direction [PDF, 174 KB]

How claims will be managed - Chair's direction [PDF, 34 KB]

Code of conduct for expert witnesses - Chair's direction [PDF, 83 KB]

Apply to the tribunal

If you want to make a claim for a single dwelling house:

Application form for single dwelling house claims [PDF, 97 KB]

If you want to make a claim for a multi-unit complex:

Application form for multi-unit claims [PDF, 94 KB]

What you need to send us

Send us your completed application form and the following documents either in electronic format or hard copy:

  • the assessor’s report from Weathertight Services at MBIE
  • a copy of the letter or email from MBIE confirming you have an eligible claim
  • the correct names and current addresses for the people or companies the claim is being made against
  • copies of invoices, quotes or estimates on which the claim is based if other than assessor's report
  • any other expert or building report that will be used to support the claim
  • if the claim is for $20,000 or less, a copy of MBIE's lower-value claim dispute resolution certificate
  • particulars of claim
  • filing fee of $408.89.

Read a glossary of the common terms used in the Weathertight Homes Tribunal [PDF, 685 KB]

How much does it cost

It costs $408.89 (including GST) to file an application.

Find out how to pay

This page was last updated: