Submit invoices & timesheets

Overview: On this page, you'll find information about completing and submitting invoices and timesheets. It explains how to claim for travel expenses and follow up on payments. Templates are provided if you need.

On this page:

If you’re an interpreter for our Ministry, you'll need to complete and submit an invoice and timesheet after a hearing.

The information on this page also applies to interpreters for the Immigration & Protection Tribunal.

What should be on your timesheet

You should include the following details on your timesheet:

  • court or tribunal hearing attended, and
  • number of hours spent in the hearing.

The timesheet must be signed by you and by a court staff member who can verify the details.

You must attach a completed and signed timesheet to your invoice. An incomplete or unsigned timesheet will result in delays in payment being made.

Every invoice will need to include the case file number, and the reference number M20326.

Get help to complete a timesheet

  • Ask court staff on the day of the hearing.
  • Call 0800 COURTS (0800 268 787).

Invoice and timesheet templates

Ministry invoice and timesheet templates

We have templates available that you can use. The template you should use will depend on whether you’re GST registered or not, and how often you invoice the Ministry.

  • If you invoice us at the end of each day, you can complete a single combined invoice and timesheet.
  • If your invoice includes more than one day’s work, you should complete an invoice with separate timesheets included.

You can change the templates to suit your needs, but you’re responsible for making sure that the invoice and timesheet has the required information.

Invoice and timesheet templates

There are five available templates and a completed example of each for your reference.

You can also refer to this guide for more information on all the template fields:

Court interpreters invoice and timesheet template guide [PDF, 567 KB]

Combined timesheet and invoice – use for invoicing for a single day’s work
Not GST registered

Timesheet and Invoice template (Not GST registered) [PDF, 292 KB]

Completed example of the Timesheet and Invoice template (Not GST registered) [PDF, 316 KB]

GST registered

Timesheet + Tax Invoice template (GST registered) [PDF, 292 KB]
Completed example of the Timesheet + Tax Invoice template (GST registered) [PDF, 328 KB]

To invoice for multiple days, use the separate invoice and timesheet templates

Timesheet template [PDF, 272 KB]

Completed example of timesheet template [PDF, 280 KB]

Not GST registered - Invoice only

Invoice (not GST registered) template [PDF, 278 KB]

Completed example of the Invoice (not GST registered) template [PDF, 231 KB]


Tax Invoice (GST registered) template [PDF, 279 KB]

Completed example of the Tax Invoice (GST registered) template [PDF, 258 KB]

You can use your own invoice

There's no set (prescribed) invoice or timesheet that you must use. You can use your own invoice and timesheet template as long as it contains all the information we need.

Claiming travel expenses

You can claim mileage or other travel expenses (such as the cost of public transport) to get to a court hearing. The expenses we’ll reimburse you for are set out in our Standard Terms.

Standard Terms and Conditions for Interpreter Services in Courts and Tribunals

Expenses will be paid on the basis agreed at the time the Booking is confirmed (based on the rates set out in your standard terms) or as specified in the Booking (which will prevail over Your standard terms).

Parking fees

Parking fees will need to be confirmed as part of the Booking.


If you use a motor vehicle to get to a hearing, you can claim mileage at the rate specified by Inland Revenue.

From 1 July 2018, the Inland Revenue reimbursement rate dropped to variable rates per kilometre for travel over 14,000 kilometres for each financial year, depending on the type of vehicle.

When invoicing the Ministry, please define the financial year as 1 July to 30 June.

Refer to the Inland Revenue website for information about the mileage rates(external link)

Travel outside of your normal service delivery area

If you’re travelling outside your normal service delivery area, for example Auckland to Kaikohe, you’re entitled to charge travel time and be reimbursed for meals up to $50. If you’re unsure whether you’re entitled to charge travel time, talk to the Central Registry.

Other travel expenses

If you have other travel expenses to get to a hearing, you’ll need to provide receipts or a tax invoice in the following cases:

  • If an individual transaction is over $50 (including GST), you must attach a receipt or tax invoice to your invoice.
  • If an individual transaction is less than $50 (including GST), and a receipt or tax invoice is not available, you must include a description of the expense in the invoice. The description must include the date, description of the travel, cost, and supplier, for example, '7 August 2018, bus fare - 2 zones return, Hop Card, $9.60'.

If you’re GST registered (and claiming GST), you must list any travel expenses as GST exclusive and add GST to the subtotal in the invoice.

If you’re not GST registered, you must list the full amount spent on travel expenses.

Special travel arrangements

Travel involving flights, accommodation and rental cars (special travel arrangements) are generally arranged by the Ministry at the booking stage of the process. You need to tell the Ministry of any special travel arrangements when you tell us your availability.

Read about booking request and travel arrangements

Flights, accommodation and rental car hire will generally not be accepted as part of a claim for travel expenses after a hearing, unless prior approval has been received from the CPU.

Send a completed invoice and timesheet to the Ministry

You’ll need to email us your completed invoice and timesheet. Email it to

You should complete and submit an invoice and timesheet as soon as practicable after a hearing.

Usually, payment is made based on your payment terms. If you haven’t provided your payment terms, the Ministry will aim to make payment within 10 business days of the Ministry receiving a correctly completed invoice and timesheet.

Payment not received after 10 business days

If you’ve given us a completed invoice and timesheet but you haven’t received payment (remittance advice) after 10 working days, you should call or email us at

Make sure you include the following details:

  • case reference number (from the booking confirmation)
  • creditor number (from a previous remittance advice received from the Ministry)
  • invoice number.

This page was last updated: