Who doesn't need a licence or certificate

Learn which people doing security work don’t need a licence or certificate.

You don’t need a licence or certificate if you:

  • are an unpaid volunteer
  • are an employee of a government agency such as the police or armed forces
  • are an electrical installer with a current licence from the Electrical Workers Registration Board carrying out electrical installation work of security equipment. However you will need a licence or certificate if you are also working as a security consultant. You can check if you have a licence on the Electrical Workers Register(external link)
  • are a licensed tow truck driver
  • carry out work covered by another Act.

Find out more

You can find out more about who needs a licence or certificate by seeking your own legal advice or reading the Private Security Personnel and Private Investigators Act 2010(external link)