Apply or renew


PSPLA Product Changes

Starting Friday 3 June, PSPLA customers will be required to upload a scan of their ID as part of the application process. The ID scan provided will be used for the purpose of an ID photo comparison check during application processing. 

If you have any questions regarding this requirement, please contact

PSPLA Online Website Outage 

On Thursday 2 June, the online PSPLA application will not be available for use between 9pm and 11pm.  This is due to scheduled updates to the online application form.  We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. 

Find out how to apply for or renew a private security licence or certificate of approval (COA).


Find out how to renew a private security licence or certificate of approval.

Renew your current licence or certificate


There are 2 ways you can apply.

Apply online

It’s quicker and cheaper to apply online.

Apply for a new licence or certificate

Apply by mail

You must apply by mail for:

  • temporary certificates to work while training
  • trans-Tasman mutual recognition applications.

Apply by mail

Temporary certificate to work while training

You can start work before you’ve done the training you need as a crowd controller, property guard or personal guard. To do this you need to apply for a temporary certificate.

You will only be granted a temporary certificate if your application includes the classes of crowd controller, property guard or personal guard and you have not completed the required training.

Temporary certificates

Emergency appointments without certificates

If you have a company or individual licence you can employ staff without certificates in an emergency.

Emergency appointments without certificates

No refunds

If your application is turned down or you make a mistake and have to reapply, you won’t get your fee back. This is because the fee covers what it costs us to process the application. For more information about the rare cases we may give a refund you can contact us.

Contact us

Withdrawing applications

You can withdraw your application at any time by using the withdrawal form. You will not get your fee back.

Withdraw an application form [PDF, 139 KB]

The Authority will continue to process new applications of Certificate of Approval for those who are providing essential services during this period.

This page was last updated: