Contempt of enforcement proceedings

A judge can order the debtor to do up to 200 hours of community work through contempt of enforcement proceedings. If they are given community work, the debtor still has to pay the debt. You can apply for contempt of enforcement proceedings if:

  • a financial statement has been filed in court
  • the court has been given information about the debtor's ability to pay
  • a financial assessment hearing has taken place and
  • the debtor has the ability to pay but has not and all other enforcement attempts have failed.

The judge can decide if they want to impose this sentence, which does not replace the debt.

To apply for contempt of enforcement proceedings

Make an application at your nearest district court and pay the fee

Application for contempt of enforcement proceedings [PDF, 174 KB]

After we get your application

A registrar will consider your application on the basis of the information you provided. They will either:

  • grant the application and set a hearing or
  • refer the application to a judge.

The judge can also set a hearing or reject the application. The court will tell you the result of your application, as well as the hearing date if a hearing is set.

You must appear at the hearing

If you or your representative does not appear at the hearing, the judge may:

  • adjourn the hearing
  • strike out the contempt of enforcement application.

Learn about other enforcement applications

This page was last updated: