Licensing scheme disputes

It’s free to file a copyright licensing agreement dispute.

The Copyright Tribunal hears disputes about licences which allow works to be copied, performed or broadcast. Disputes can be about:

  • the terms or reasonableness of an existing licensing agreement
  • the terms or reasonableness of a proposed licensing agreement
  • a dispute between the holder of a licensing agreement and a person claiming they require a licence under the agreement.

Who can apply?

Any individual or licensing company can apply to the tribunal if they believe a copyright owner has unreasonably refused to grant them a licence to copy, perform or broadcast a work. The tribunal decides whether the person or company who applied (the applicant) is entitled to the licence and on what terms.

A representative (for example, a lawyer) can also apply to the tribunal on your behalf, as long as you’ve given them an authorisation to do so. You can do this by telling us in writing.

How to apply

Write to us and include the following information:

  • the name of the licensing body involved in the dispute
  • the licensing agreement (as defined in section 2 of the Copyright Act 1994) by date and document, to which the dispute refers
  • an explanation of how the licensing agreement meets the requirements of the Copyright Act 1994
  • an explanation of what it is about the licensing agreement that you wish to dispute.

You must give us a hard copy of your application.

Postal address:
Copyright Tribunal
Tribunals Unit

Street address:
Copyright Tribunal
Tribunals Unit
Level 1, 86 Customhouse Quay

As well as providing us with a hard copy of your application, you can also email it to us.


Withdraw an application

You can withdraw your licensing scheme dispute application in writing at any stage before a final decision is made.

This page was last updated: